Wednesday 28 December 2011

PPGI - Week 12

High Level Exit Plan

Link

The above link provides information on how to create a really good showreel, and numerous examples of good show reels from with the industry, be it games or films industry.

It does provide 3 different methods to self promote myself:
  1. Youtube - To upload my showreel so people and potential employers can view it at anytime, and means that only an internet address is needed to be sent rather than a DVD containing my showreel.
  2. Blogger - A good place to blog, uploading designs/sketches, and work in progress, and also to include an embeded show reel and other completed work.
  3. LinkedIn - A source to build up a CV and start making connections with people in the industry.
  4. Elance/Guru - Gives the chance for my work to bring me some freelance work, using both Blogger and LinkedIn.
A couple of things I already know to do include:
  1. Creating a business card with up to date contact information so if I do meet someone who shows interest in me and my work, a card is easier and more professional to show rather than writing down contact information.
  2. An up to date CV is essential for any job, and since last creating a CV I have had a couple of jobs, which I believe will help at starting at the bottom as a receptionist/runner for a VFX studio.
  3. A website to have all my finished work displayed, with links to my show reel and blog (as long as the blog is kept up to date of what I'm working on, otherwise the blog is pointless) and to show my CV. This means that any potential employer can look on one website to find everything they need to decide if I'm good enough for the job in question.



On an interesting note, I found a website of visual effect employees from around the globe working on animation films and their show reels. As someone who is aspiring to be in the film industry, its good to see some animation work, although I don't necessarily want to do animation, before applying for jobs.

Reel Barrow

No comments:

Post a Comment